In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is it really that serious? Considering that Apple makes it pretty easy
> to add your custom URL schemes. I must admit I did not really research
> this very much, only validity of URI syntax. E.g. also TextMate has
> it's own private scheme, and I doubt it's properly registered.

Yeah, it uses txmt:, Papers uses papers: and Yojimbo uses
x-yojimbo-item: schemes, but you'd never be able to get those registered
with the IETF as far as I can tell.  I think at some point there might
be a formal system for private URIs with a reverse-DNS namespace...or
maybe it's already in place.

The whole thing is a confusing and strangely polarizing topic,
apparently.  Some time ago I saw this:
http://rentzsch.com/notes/rdarUrls which linked to this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-registration.  The x- seems like a
sort of pragmatic compromise, since it should be certain to never be
used by IETF (not that bdsk is in any danger, AFAICT).