On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> A question for Adam:
> I added most of your improvements to the FileView framework to the
> BibDesk sources (such as improvements to icon classes and operations/
> operation queues, as well as the new view widgets). I have problems
> with the operation queues though on my machine. I wonder if you have
> ideas on that as you wrote the code, it looks worthwhile to include it.
>
> The problem is that with the test app I get a rather long beach ball
> at the start (about 20 sec), until the first set of visible icons has
> finished rendering. I don't have this problem with bibdesk where
> typically only a few icons are visible at a time. It's probably due to
> the fact that the code is written for high performance machines
> (multiple core?)? I'm using a single core 1.67 GHz PPC G4.
>
> Things get better when I reduce the maxCurrentOperations to
> _activeCPUs * 2 in FVConcreteOperationQueue. So perhaps this number
> should be dependent on some more system info (though I wouldn't know
> what, perhaps clock speed or arch)? Perhaps it also has to do with the
> fact that the old style FVIconQueue updated in batches of 5, while the
> operationQueues seem to work with single operations?
>
> Any ideas how performance could be improved?
>
> Christiaan

Let me add some more observations. the main slowdown occurs when starting
up, so for the first full view of icons. If I then scroll for other icons (
e.g. by hitting End) performance is pretty good. So could it be that some
initial creation/setup is a performance bottle neck? The slowdown only
occurs when there are many icons to display initially though, so it's not
just that the setup of the queue is slow.

Christiaan