In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2008, at 11:30 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 5 Jun 2008, at 8:20 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> >>
> I've added a delegate method to get an array of known field names.
> Those will always be valid, and allows us to do full validity
> checking, including in getObjectValue:.... So it moves the custom
> stuff to the delegate, which is much more appropriate. It also allows
> completion of those special fields on Leopard.

Yeah, that seems better.

> > Okay, before hitting Post I had an idea: the drop-down is too small
> > (IMO) to easily find fields anyway.  What about having a two-column
> > tableview of fields and checkboxes, with the option to add an
> > additional
> > row for unknown fields?  Then you could see all of the predefined
> > "Author" fields at a glance and so on, as well.  For the organization
> > freaks, they could even be grouped by field type in an outline view
> > (Person, String, Boolean...).
> >

> That would make it impossible to just type and complete (which is what
> I always use and is very fast).

Tableviews have typeahead find on Leopard.  Either way, that's only
useful if you know exactly what you're looking for (which may be the
case if you use it very often...I don't).  If it's infrequently used,
efficiency could be sacrificed for discoverability.

> Note that the possible fields are highly context sensitive. So a
> general organization by the suers would be pretty much impossible.

Broad categories are fairly well-defined: person-related fields (1st
Author, 2nd Author, Last Author or Editor's First Cousin...),
Boolean/Tristate, URL, and the rest.  It's not a critical part of the
suggestion.

> And what would the check boxes be for?

To display or hide the field in the main table.  Field name in the left
column, checkbox in the right column (or both in the same cell).  You
could see more fields at a glance instead of trying to scroll that tiny
list; I have 60 fields listed there as column candidates.