Dear Christiaan (and others):

I investigated at our library. It seems the most widespread subscription that
most institutions have, i.e. the most likely default is now

Web of ScienceTM Core Collection (1900-present)

This consists of these editions:

  *   Science Citation Index Expanded (1900-present)
  *   Social Sciences Citation Index (1900-present)
  *   Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present)
  *   Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science (1990-present)
  *   Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Social Science & Humanities
(1990-present)
  *   Current Chemical Reactions (1985-present)
(Includes Institut National de la Propriete Industrielle structure data back to
1840)
  *   Index Chemicus (1993-present)

Our library promised to find out whether it is actually possible to have also a
subscription which would consist of only WOS, which would be cheaper, and would
not have SSCI and other editions. They promised me an answer by mid next week.

Then I learned that SciELO Citation Index (1997-present) costs nothing, since
it accesses open access journals. It accesses "scholarly literature in
sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities published in leading open access
journals from Latin American, Portugal, Spain and South Africa".

Therefore it is likely that any subscriber also has that data base available.

Note, that our library has confirmed me that TR is changing these things all
the time and that some further changes are in the doing for this summer. What
exactly, however, they could not tell me, but data bases offers will change
once more and perhaps some shuffling around will happen, perhaps similar to
having now "WOS Core Collection" subsuming a lot, which was previously all
offered as separate data bases. While the term

Web Of Science continues to be emphasized by TR, notably via "WOS Core
Collection", the URL of the service remains WOK, e.g. this URL (when selecting
a data base):

http://apps.webofknowledge.com/select_databases.do?highlighted_tab=select_databases&product=UA&SID=V2HBRSkThEvG8DvLq2x&last_prod=WOS&cacheurl=no

See how this looks at my institution, i.e. ETH Zurich, in all details via this
ftp offer:

ftp://ftp.sysecol.ethz.ch/docs/afischli/for-BibDesk_developers/

I hope this is of some help. If you would need other information, let me know
and I will try to learn more through my connections to our library people (who
are very helpful, hands basically bound by TR).

Regards,
Andreas