> On Jul 15, 2016, at 14:15, Christiaan Hofman <cmhof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I ask this because an Apple engineer passed me this implementation from the
> objc runtime:
>
> /// Excerpted from the objc runtime
>
> // API to only be called by classes that provide their own reference count
> storage
>
> OBJC_EXPORT
> void
> _objc_deallocOnMainThreadHelper(void *context)
>     OBJC_AVAILABLE(10.7, 5.0, 9.0, 1.0);

Huh. I don’t see this in the headers. Oh, it’s in objc-internal.h, which is
only in the source repo. Of course!

> // On async versus sync deallocation and the _dealloc2main flag
> //
> // Theory:
> //
> // If order matters, then code must always: [self dealloc].
> // If order doesn't matter, then always async should be safe.

I did not even know there was async deallocation. Whoever had that bright idea
should be fired from a cannon into the sun. Brief googling indicates that it’s
related to blocks teardown?

Objective-C used to be such a nice, simple, language that was dynamic and
reliable enough to be abused. Now it apparently can barely be used, let alone
abused. I wish Apple had stopped trying to improve it and just focused on their
clang and Swift messes (possibly this is unfair; I haven’t the time or desire
to learn Swift, and no confidence that Apple can design a language that doesn’t
suck).

[...]

> What would you think the best way to go would be? Either remove FVObject, or
> reimplement it with something like the above?

Oh, remove it, for sure; this is too fragile to bother with. I deleted the
implementation in my codebase and left the class names just in case, like Omni
did with OFObject.

Adam