>Did you try searching for "name" in the Help (I didn't...that's just a
>guess)?  See
><http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_2.html#Formatting
>-Names

that's a bit obvious, don't you think? :-) (I was being much
more technical and got blinded)

>>.  In this case, you have to use "von Last, Jr., First Middle", I
>think, so "Phillips, III, C. R." should give you correct results.

when I had finally worked out how to follow these difficult
instructions, it works as hoped.

damn, the syntax is almost like Applescript. Impossible to
guess, embarrassingly easy when you see it.

many thanks.