I'm not sure if this is to do with Bibdesk or what but I have
two references to the same book on teh same page

  and \citeasnoun{beardnorthprice98a}.}  Historiography, on the
other hand, dealt (amongst other things)

  over whose account should predominate, and this hypothetical
tension reaches its  height when we consider that Tacitus was
not just a historian but also a priest concerned with the
interpretation of the Sibylline Books\footnote{For those
Sibylline oracles that remain extant and further bibliography,
see \citeasnoun{beardnorthprice98a} volume II, 179-183.}

  The first time beardnorthprice98a is cited, it appears in
TeXshop as 'Beard, North and Price (1998)' (as I wish) but the
second time it is Beard et al (1998).

  does anyone know why identical references should produce
different results? I'm using a customised harvard style. Is this
even a Bibdesk question?:-)