On 9/20/07, Chris Goedde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Sergio Mora wrote:
>
> > Good day Bibdesk users,
> >
> > I have 250 papers or more, regarding new media and video games
> > studies. I'm trying to organize my library (i have all the papers in
> > a single folder) but I don't know what structure is better between :
> >
> > 1) year/author/name
> > 2) author/year/name
>
> I guess it depends what problem you are trying to solve and how you
> access these files.
>
> I access all my pdfs of journal articles through BibDesk now (I'm
> sure Adam Maxwell will be glad to hear that), so I don't really care
> how the files are organized on the disk. (Mine are all in a single
> folder.) Filing by author first makes me think that you'll have lots
> of subfolders once you have 1000 pdfs. Maybe that's okay---I don't
> know what you're trying to achieve. If I were to do this, I would
> probably just split my folder of papers up by journal. That would
> give me a few big chunks that were split roughly according to area,
> and that's sort of how I think of things. ("I need to look at that
> PRL article by Smith ...").

Aside from users who sync or share their papers folder, I never
really understood the impulse to have subfolders in the papers folder.
I think it's habit from people's pre-BibDesk days. :)
If there's something you need to do with a file that you can't do from
within BibDesk, that's a feature request! (Although there's a good
chance you can already do it.)

Certainly if you are wondering how to organize your papers folder so
it's easier to *FIND* papers there, I say don't do it! That way lies
madness - let BibDesk do your finding for you.

-mike

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate