On 2007-November-08  , at 12:13 , jiho wrote:
> On 2007-November-07  , at 20:37 , Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 07, 2007, at 10:38AM, "jiho"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>> Because of that, we have to come up with a way to displaying
>> multiple records per file, so you click on a file and the
>> publication(s) that link to it would be displayed in some other
>> view.  I've been thinking about a table or shallow outline view
>> like a source list on the right side of the window, which displays
>> a summary of the selected records.  That would be useful for the
>> web group and the file views, as well as file content search.
>> Each item would show just title when collapsed, but expand to show
>> authors/title/date over multiple lines like Skim's notes table
>> view, but with a disclosure triangle instead of a variable height
>> thumb.
>
> Not sure I visualize all this correctly.
> Anyway, I see a problem with displaying a clickable bibtex icon
> next to the pdf one only when one file is associated with multiple
> records, but I don't think this is currently possible in BibDesk
> (and can't see a sensible use for it). In the opposite case, when
> several files are associated with the same record, this approach
> will just mean that several entries in the search results will have
> the same title and that the bibtex icons next to them will trigger
> the edition of the same record, but I don't see how that's a problem.

After using BibDesk in this context a bit more, I realized that, if
you can relate the PDF to a bibtex record, then displaying the same
view in the File Content search that in the other ones would be the
most sensible and easy choice. You'll need to enforce the view of the
Local-Url column and maybe make the PDF icon a bit bigger to
emphasize its importance in these results, but overall keeping the
same design than the others means keeping all the same good
functionality.
Just my 2 cents.

JiHO
---