Another option to get this to work more consistently for users who
haven't set their BibTeX preference in Google Scholar is to use the
"Related Links" URL in each entry to craft a URL that leads to the
BibTeX. For example, the "related links" for a piece might look like

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?num=100&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox&q=related:O1sOP5RcQI0J:scholar.google.com/

while the "BibTeX" link looks like this:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar.bib?num=100&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox&q=info:O1sOP5RcQI0J:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&oe=MACINTOSH&oi=citation

As for decreasing the number of requests: My guess is that the scraper
currently depends upon the BibTeX links, and would have to be
rewritten to scrape the HTML directly (which is also usually a bad
idea, since the format is usually subject to change)

-AHM