I frequently file books and committee reports (those published by the
National Academy Press are a good example) where there is no "author"
but there are "editor"s. Since my BD generates cite_keys as %a1_%Y_u2,
the %a part goes unfilled in the cite_keys for these reports. Is there
any way to ask BD to use the author, but if author is not set then use
the editor?

Another question -- what is the best practice? Do folks file the
entire reports? (that is what I do, because that is how I find them).
But then, how do you cite individual papers within those reports as in
case of conf. proceedings, the reports are typically a set of papers
by indiv. authors preceded by come commentary by the editors... can I
generate indiv. cite_keys for each component paper? I realize I am
probably asking a basic BD-use question, so if this use-case is
already described somewhere, kindly point me to it.

Finally, I haven't yet received any scapegoat to give me his/her
*very* long manuscript to test my Perl script. If you are hesitant
about privacy, I will reiterate my solemn promise to use your work
*only* for testing (of course, I will probably learn a lot from
glancing at your work, which I will have to do in order to determine
the efficacy of my script). You will be credited, of course, and if my
script does become useful, you would have contributed to another
BD-enhancing tool. And, needless to say, your manuscript  and bib will
not leave my laptop ever.

Graçias.

--
Puneet Kishor