On Dec 30, 2007, at 7:59 AM, P Kishor wrote:

> I am, slowly, slowly, graduating from using BD just as a basic
> library, and learning all manner of delightful little features in it.
> While doing so, I came across Alex Montgomery's ISBN lookup scripts.
> My suggestion -- they are so good and useful that either their
> functionality be included in the core application so users immediately
> know of their existence or the scripts be bundled with the
> application's installer (I know there is no installer right now, but
> if there were one) that would put them in the requisite places.

This is a support hassle that we probably won't get into.  I know
there are a lot of cool scripts out there, but if we ship them, we
have to support them.

> A couple of related mods --
>
> 1. would be nice to look up via DOI as well (digital object identifier
> -- in this day and age of digital repositories, DOI are all the rage,
> and do make for a very nice unique locator); and

BibDesk will pass DOIs to a web browser if you have a DOI field.  What
else would you like to see?  (ISBN is almost never useful for me, so
I've paid no attention to it)

> 2. would be nice to have a container for "artwork" in BD, and then
> have the scripts grab the artwork as well -- usually this is in the
> case of book covers. Librarything does this rather well.

You can't store artwork per se in a BibTeX file, but you could
download images and add them to the pub.  Assuming you have autofile
active, this should be pretty transparent and the new thumbnail view
will show you a preview.

--
adam