On Jan 1, 2008 6:39 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 2007 11:31 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I added thumbnail generation for http: URLs in the file pane (maybe
> >> it
> >> should be called an attachment pane?).  I've tested it with several
> >> URLs (sciencedirect, springerlink) on my system, but I'd appreciate
> >> some further testing as well.  It should degrade to the "@" icon when
> >> the network isn't available or the page fails to load, and plugins/
> >> java/javascript/pdf are disabled.  Let me know if there are
> >> performance problems or crashes.
> >
> > I just gave it a try with the latest nightly, and it's working well
> > for me.
> > I found that if all my pubs were selected, the file pane would scroll
> > slowly, occasionally beachballing. However, I think that's
> > pathological behavior on my part, and in regular use it's snappy.
>
> If you have performance problems, feel free to send samples.  I don't
> see beachballs here, but I haven't tried the web thumbnails on a
> single core system (or tried optimizing them at all, really).  Until a
> few weeks ago I was testing it regularly on a 1.33 G4, and it did fine
> with a few hundred PDF files.

Ok, I'll see if it has problems in regular use. I'll send samples if so.

> You could try setting FVWebIconDisabled to true using defaults, which
> will draw a Finder icon instead.
>
> > The file pane is looking really nice - although I was expecting it to
> > auto-size like omniweb's thumbnails. I find that I never want empty
> > horizontal space in the file pane, and thus having a separate slider
> > for the icon size seems redundant. Am I missing something there?
>
> OW has a single column, so it can size thumbnails to that width.  The
> file pane is an iPhoto-style grid view like IKImageBrowserView; check
> out the test project for the fileview framework to see what it looks
> like.  The original plan was to have it in the bottom pane, where
> zooming is more useful.

That explains it. So it'd be a big change to make it autosize with one column?
I do think that'd be better behavior as long as the file pane is along
the right.
(But of course I'm open to having my mind changed)

-mike

> --
>
> adam

Michael McCracken