And did you do latex + bibdesk + latex + latex?

Christiaan

On 2 Jan 2008, at 9:49 PM, Ian Thompson wrote:

Thank you for the quick response! I have used LaTeX for a while, but am new to BibTeX and BibDesk. I have been trying to get a BibTeX example to work--here is the .tex file:

\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}

\bibliographystyle{prsty} % Choose Phys. Rev. stylle for bibliography

\section{Introduction}
The discovery of the Quantized Hall Effect was made by
Klitzing~\cite{klitzing:qhe} for which he was awarded the 1985 Nobel
prize for physics~\cite{klitzing:nobel}.
\bibliography{qhe}        % qhe.bib is the name of our database

\end{document}

Here is the BibTeX file which I imported into BibDesk. When I try to generate the BibTex file, the console says "I couldn't open file name `ghe.aux."

STRING(PRL="Phys. Rev. Lett.")
@STRING(RMP="Rev. Mod. Phys.")

@ARTICLE{klitzing:qhe,
   AUTHOR="K. von Klitzing and G. Dorda and M. Pepper",
   TITLE="New method for high accuracy determination of fine structure
            constant based on quantised hall resistance",
   JOURNAL=PRL,
   VOLUME=45,
   PAGES=494,
   YEAR=1980
}

@ARTICLE{klitzing:nobel,
   AUTHOR="Klaus von Klitzing",
   TITLE="The Quantised Hall Effect",
   JOURNAL=RMP,
   VOLUME=58,
   PAGES=519,
   YEAR=1986
}

Thank you again. The example is from http://cmtw.harvard.edu/ Documentation/TeX/Bibtex/Example.html

On Jan 2, 2008 3:17 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday, January 02, 2008, at 12:13PM, "Ian Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >I have been receiving the error "There were undefined references" whenever I >try to use Bibdesk. If anyone could offer me some advice it would be greatly
>appreciated. Here are the errors as generated in the console:
>
>"LaTeX Warning: Citation `klitzing:qhe' on page 1 undefined on input line 8.
>
>LaTeX Warning: Citation `klitzing:nobel' on page 1 undefined on input line

This is a LaTeX/BibTeX problem, not a BibDesk problem. It looks like you forgot to run the bibtex program, but you'll need to include a minimal .tex example so we can see what's going on.