On Friday, January 04, 2008, at 04:56PM, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi, all,
>
>I've been fiddling with a recent nightly build (Version 1.3.12
>(v987)), and wanted to add some refs to my database.  The 'help'
>says, roughly, "go ahead and drag `em in".
>
>Two questions:
>  - the help refers variously to the "database" and "publications"
>window.  Are these the same?  And, are these the window containing
>the (column) listing of the entries in the database?

That sounds right; this is the main document window that has columns and
groups.  It would be great if someone wanted to clean up the terminology in the
help...Texinfo is pretty easy.

>  - is there any doc describing what (in the current versions) the
>various windows are and contain?  I looked, but came up dry.

All the preference panes are documented, and the main window and editor
window(s) are documented under Managing References (Editing and Browsing
subtopics).

>And finally, when I drag a file containing a bibtex entry onto the
>'central' window, I get this file added to the entry I drop the file
>onto, instead of getting a new entry.  What am I missing?

Try moving your file around until the entire tableview is highlighted (between
rows or near the edge).  If a row is highlighted, it adds to that row.  If the
entire table is highlighted, it adds a new ref.  Dropping on a group might be
an easier target.  The drop highlight should give you a pretty good idea of
what it's going to do, though.

hth,
adam