You're right, AppleScript does not seem to recognize it as rich text.
That's strange, as we definitely return rich text and we also declare
it as such in the scripting definition. This may be due to a long
standing bug where Apple consistently defines rich text the wrong way
(I know TextEdit does it wrong on Tiger). That bug often gets
AppleScript confused (and AppleScript is easily confused).

Christiaan