On 2008-03-09, at 1:44 PM, Ingrid Giffin wrote:

> On 3/9/08 2:18 PM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Mar 2008, at 8:47 PM, Ingrid Giffin wrote:
>>

>>> I've been having some trouble with URLs in the "linked documents"
>>> pane. The
>>> URL is correct, but when I click to go to the URL, it is changed
>>> so  that the
>>> link is broken.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> There is a URL in the linked documents pane. It is:
>>>
>>> http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1558-8610%281972%2914%3Cii%3ATAOATH%3E2.0.C
>>> O%3B2-P  (This is the text that displays in the rollover, and
>>> also  in the
>>> field when I load "replace URL...".)
>>>
>>> This is a correct URL, meaning that if I manually copy and paste
>>> it  into my
>>> browser, the correct page loads.
>>>
>>> When I click to go to the URL, the URL that loads in the address
>>> bar  of the
>>> browser is:
>>>
>>> http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1558-8610(1972)14%20ii%3ATAOATH%3E2.0.CO%3B
>>> 2-P#5152816683755922857
>>>
>>> ...and the page is not found.
>>>
>>> The JSTOR error page gives this message:
>>>
>>> Technical Error Message: Incorrect Contribution Segment The SICI was
>>> 1558-8610(1972)14 ii:TAOATH>2.0.CO;2-P
>>>

>>> I'm running BibDesk Version 1.3.14 (v1008)
>>>
>>> Thanks, Ingrid Giffin
>>>

>> That must be a problem of the browser then. BibDesk just sends the
>> URL
>> it has o the system to open, the rest is out of our hands.
>>
>> Christiaaan
>

> Why would it get fouled up when passed from BibDesk, while it works
> when I
> paste it manually?
>
> Ingrid

When cutting and pasting, browsers sometimes try to "fix" URLs,
whereas BibDesk is passing the URL directly.

In this case, the "incorrect" bottom URL substitutes a %20, which is a
space, for a %3C, which is a left-angle bracket (<).

If it's just this one record, I'd re-paste the JSTOR permanent URL and
see if that works.

-AHM