In BibDesk 1.3.14, when file renaming/autofiling is being used, it
sometimes may be desirable to link files to references without
renaming them, particularly when multiple files are being linked to a
reference. There appear to be several problems with this workflow:

1. Linking some files without moving or renaming them can be
accomplished by choosing "Don't move" from the dialog that appears
when a file is dragged to a reference detail view to create the link.
For me, this dialog appears only for non-PDF files (PDF files are
renamed/moved immediately). It's possible that I clicked the checkbox
option "don't show this dialog again" for PDF files in the distant
past and it keeps track of the file type for which it's bypassed. In
any case, it's not clear how make it appear or get it back for PDFs
that I don't wish to rename.

2. For non-PDF files, if "Don't move" is chosen in the dialog above,
the linked file isn't moved moved or renamed, and a link is created to
the current location of the file. This is the desired behavior.
However, a "failed move" dialog still appears with a suggested fix for
the problem and an option to retry. This would seem to be incorrect
behavior when the user has clicked the "Don't move" button in the
previous dialog.

3. In cases where there are multiple linked files to a reference, it
might be useful to offer an option to autofile a file to the folder
path that is defined in the autofile preference without renaming the
file (except for possible uniqueness characters at the end), at least
for files after the initial linked file.

My use case for this workflow is related to my assuming chairmanship
of a national organization committee that distributes multiple PDF,
word processing, presentation and spreadsheet documents supporting
each face-to-face meeting by email, including a several-hundred-page
PDF agenda book. These documents are displayed by projection during
each meeting. By creating a BibDesk library with each meeting as a
reference and all the supporting files as linked documents (with their
own names), I can organize a meeting's documents so that they can be
found easily and displayed during the meeting, and all previous
meetings' documents are also easily accessible. In addition, I can run
through the long agenda book before the meeting and highlight
important issues in Skim. The documents can then be displayed full-
screen in Skim during the meeting and it will be easy to navigate this
large document using its bookmark outline (on the left of the Skim
display) or my Skim notes (on the right of the display). Finally, with
appropriate templates, my overall notes for the meeting and the Skim
notes for each document can be displayed in BibDesk's preview field.
One issue remaining to deal with is how to set up the preview template
so that Skim notes are displayed under a header that includes the name
of the file from which they're derived.

I realize that this probably isn't an intended use of BibDesk and
Skim, but their capabilities are perfect for the job and far beyond
any other solution I've come across.

Jim Harrison
UVa