On 16 Apr 2008, at 3:20 PM, Jacob Scheckman wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a mechanical engineering graduate student, and a daily user of
> Bibdesk. It is a great product that has made my life unbelievably easy
> in beginning to write my thesis.
> I'm finally getting ready to upgrade to Leopard, but I want to make
> sure that I'll be able to smoothly move my reference library over from
> Tiger. This wouldn't be a big concern except for all of my linked
> files: essentially every reference has a pdf linked to it, so I want
> to be sure that these links won't be lost when I move everything.

There's no problem moving to Leopard. There is no difference, as
Bibdesk uses almost only code that is valid both on 10.4 and 10.5.

> I see there is an export "Bibtex and Papers archive" option, which
> does save a copy of all of the pdfs, but when I open the
> References.bib file thats created, the links to the files are to the
> original copy, not the archive copy.

WFM. It should link to the archived copies, as it should search for
relative paths first. However the backup alias reference will still
point to the original file, as the archived copies don't exist at the
time they're created (and moreover would only exist at a different
location from where you unarchive). So if you move the .bib file (or
the archived papers folder) before opening, it won't find the archived
files and goes back to the originals. Are you sure you did not move
the .bib file before you opened it?

>> From what I've read in the documentation it seems like if I move the
> archived References folder to the new system, the links will be
> updated, but I'm not sure that this seems realistic to me. So I'm
> wondering if anybody has any suggestions or advice for me.
> thank you
> Jake

No need to archive. Just upgrade to Leopard, and BibDesk will work out
of the box.

You can export an archive of everything just to make sure. But when
you open that, make sure you keep the unarchived .bib file and
unarchived linked papers in the same *relative* location (i.e. don't
move one without moving the other). And after opening the .bib file,
make sure you save it first to update the alias references. After
that, it would be safe to move the .bib file.