On 27 May 2008, at 1:28 AM, Derick Fay wrote:

>>> 2) change (or provide the option to change) the font for
>>> displaying #
>>> of records in a group to the font used by Mail.app for unread
>>> message
>>> #s -- it's slightly wider, with fewer serifs.
>>>

>> It uses the same font as the text, but a bold variant. You can change
>> that yourself. I think it could look real ugly when the fonts don't
>> match, especially in size. Any idea what font they use?
>

> After trying to recreate it in TextEdit, I'd say Mail.app uses Arial
> Bold, same size as the font set for the Mailbox font.  On principle,
> I'd think using different fonts there would be a bad idea, but it is
> easier to read than the font in BD.

Mail uses a fixed font for the count badge, independent of the font
prefs (apart from the size). I don't think it's Arial Black, rather
Helvetica Bold (look at the 1). For me, the list font is Lucida Grande
(which is the default). When I change that in the Mail prefs, the
count badge remains the same.

> After a bit more trial and error, it looks to me like BD is using the
> same font as the group text, but with the kerning reduced -- in
> TextEdit, using the same font with white on grey, I had to use the
> Format > Font > Kern > Tighten command seven times to get the text to
> be as tightly packed as the text in BD.  Using the default kern would
> improve readability, I think.

To be precise: the font used in BD is based on the font for the table,
but bold, 1pt smaller, and a smaller kerning (changed by -1).
Generally I think I would agree with Adam (who made those choices) a
tighter kerning looks better for the badge, it makes it more compact.
In particular fonts that may not be true, but we can only satisfy the
general public and should look first at the default settings.

So I'm not sure if we should use the same font, or a fixed font as
Mail does. There sure is something to say for using a fixed font
without serif.

> Thanks for the tip on the Quick Look keystroke, by the way.
>
> Derick

It's in the menu.