On 12.01.2009, at 22:57, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>> My tests showed that this doesn't work as I would like. I think most
>> BibTeX styles expect that the months are written with three letter
>> abbreviations, jan, feb, ... If I define a @String{jan = {January}}
>> or
>> @String{jan = {jan}} macro, January or jan will be included in curly
>> braces and thus treated literally.
>
> Well, that's what you were asking for: you asked it to be expanded as
> "January", and that's what this does. If not, then please tell me what
> you want to achieve.
[...]

I understand your point, that expanding macros should expand all macros.

However, my intent is to share BibTeX entries with others, such that
the BibTeX entries can be directly used which is not possible if the
month is expanded to localized names. And if I define macros for the
english names of the months in my BibTeX file, these strings are
defined literally.

This will cause problems, since some common BibTeX styles, e.g., the
IEEE Transaction style defines macros to expand 3 letter month
abbreviations with @String{jan={"Jan."}} while other styles, e.g. the
standard plain defines @String{jan={"January"}}.

Hence, my wish to expand all macros, but for the month field.

> No array modifiers, wouldn't even be possible. You can use condition
> tags to
> treat some fields differently. But is that really what you want?

I will give it a  try tonight.

Thanks for your help,
  Christian