On 30.01.2009, at 15:27, Michael McCracken wrote:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Jonas Zimmermann
<lis...@jonaszimmermann.de> wrote:

On 29.01.2009, at 15:38, Cloy Tobola wrote:

I have a Bibdesk bibliography file that's getting large - 1.1mb with
315 sources. (Breaking it into smaller files isn't a good option right
now.)

Since I use the file (and attached PDFs) from several locations, I
keep the file (and the auto-filed PDFs) on a WebDAV drive.

That works okay, but it's getting slow. It often takes 2 or 3 minutes
to open the file, and about 90 seconds to save it.

Is there a way to optimize the file so it opens/saves more quickly?

The only thing that comes to my mind is using a version control system such as SVN with this setup. So you can work locally on your files and
only synchronise when needed. But of course, this opens another huge
bag of problems...

If you're used to version control, SVN might make sense. But it's a
little overkill - you don't really need history and branching for this
stuff, you just need backup and syncing.

I haven't tried it, but it occurs to me that using dropbox might be
the best way to solve Cloy's problem: https://www.getdropbox.com/

It syncs files between computers but should be much faster than webDAV
since it keeps local copies of the files and synchronizes
asynchronously. It also sends minimal diffs - I believe webDAV sends
entire file contents for every update.

The free account lets you store up to 2GB. If anyone tries this out,
please let us know how it works for you.

I use Dropbox quite extensively and I'm very fond of it. Among other things I have my .bib file with >3500 entries and about 300MB of PDFs which are managed by BibDesk on it. This works really nice and is for me so far the best solution to have my different machines in sync. I used unison before but here to disadvantage is that you always have to do the syncing by hand.

There's only one problem, although I'm not sure about it. I think that in some circumstances, PDFs on Dropbox can lose their Skim annotations. As I said, I'm not really sure that this is actually true, since I couldn't reproduce it, but I once lost my annotations (maybe this happened before when I synched with unison). Maybe on of the developers can shed light on this: Could this be problem of Dropbox?

On a related note: I'm not sure whether I got something wrong, but is it correct that BibDesk will only read Skim annotations in the PDF but not when they are in a seperate .skim file?

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better job on the wings.“ Stanley Kubrick