On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Nathan Paxton
<napax...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> This feature is support for bibtex's macros. You're basically supposed to be
> familiar with bibtex if you use this feature, otherwise you're not supposed
> to be interested in it.
>
> Christiaan
>
> Sorry. I hadn't realized that Macros were one of the advanced things I
> should avoid interest in. I shall try to be less curious from here on.

Please don't.

Maybe some historical context would help explain (but not excuse) the
state of the documentation.
For a long time, BibDesk didn't support bibtex macros. It would wrap
everything you typed in the text box with a pair of braces.

My opinion at the time was that macros were an old solution to having
to type things over and over, one which I felt was better solved by
autocompletion in the text fields (which BD did have). I still think
this, because the UI is better, it's easier to copy bibtex entries
around since they don't refer to macros anymore, and no one cares
about duplicated storage of a few bytes here and there*.

However, what I didn't know at the beginning was that macros are also
used as a bit of an internationalization feature - by not defining the
month macros, you can have an entry that refers to jun and let bibtex
decide later if it wants to expand that to "June" or "June in some
other language".

So after being explained that many times by experienced LaTeX users
(likely coming to BibDesk from emacs or the like), we added macros as
they are now.

I'd echo the earlier advice from James - if you are just trying to cut
down on typing, use autocomplete and then you don't have to refer to
the macros list to remember what you used as an abbreviation.

* - Dan Abell points out another great use for macros if you happen to
have a publisher who is demanding of their citation formats. Some of
us have the opposite problem - our fields' publications do not demand
enough consistency in formatting... But that's a gripe for another
day.

-mike

> Best,
> -Nathan