That's it. Yes, I have assigned them a shortcut. Indeed, it is all exactly as you say. The funny thing being, that upon installation of the shortcut these menu items are not immediately visible. They appear quite later, perhaps I needed first to press option and choosing a menu, before they show up. However, once visible they stay there forever. Makes it all quite confusing.

The trick by assigning a shortcut using Option as modifier key for the show menu items hides those superfluous items. And that additional shortcut is disfunct. All a bit awkward indeed.

Thanks Christiaan for this useful info! I'm amazed about your knowledge, I would never have guessed.

Andreas