I have now also figured out what caused the automount. Having a Finder alias, not sym link in the pdf repository folder that gets synced, yet references a not synced pdf, since it resides outside the pdf repository folder, causes the automounting. So this is actually merely a problem of my particular bib file not properly constraining synced aliases only to originals that are not also synced. The only annoying thing is, if I happen to select a record with such a broken Finder alias, it is no longer possible to open the bib-file, since BibDesk gives not up trying to access the disk no longer available. I have to force quit BibDesk or mount the disk to open the bib file again (or edit away the selection as . Anyway your suggestions helped and made me understand the problem having nothing to do with BibDesk.

Can you take a sample when that happens? I'd like to see where it's hanging. Finder aliases are a different beast than what BibDesk uses internally, and they're a nuisance to deal with.
Yes, I could but I doubt this is of much help, since your systems are not mine. You can, however, easily reconstruct the incidence yourself:

1) Create a Finder alias in the pdf repository folder to a pdf that resides outside the folder but on the same volume where you have the pdf repository folder 2) Add the pdf alias to the right-side pane of BD to any record in any small bib file
3) Offer the volume via File Sharing/afp to another Mac
4) Mount that volume on the other Mac
5) Copy the bib file and the pdf repository folder to your other Mac main volume
6) "Eject" the mounted volume on the other Mac
7) Disconnect from the internet (on the MacBook Air I simply turn Airport off)
8) Open the bib file in BD
9) The opening process will try to remount the just ejected volume and hangs till the Finder's "Connection failed" message appears and only then the bib file is really displayed.

Alternative is to omit step 7 and then opening of the bib file is as fast as normal, but then the afp shared volume is automounted

However, I would be glad if someone could tell me whether there is a technique to extract from Bdsk-File-1{} entries that are broken in such a manner the actual info, i.e. relative or absolute path. Since my attempts to use AppleScript statements such as

    set allLinkedFiles to (get POSIX path of linked files)
    set allLinkedHFSFiles to (get linked files)
    set allLinkedFileURLs to (get URL of linked files)

resulted in that situation only as a missing value item, yet the bib file itself still contained the Bdsk-File-1{....} fields with lots of for human eyes unreadable content.

Some time ago, I wrote a python program that extracts relative paths:

http://homepage.mac.com/amaxwell/.cv/amaxwell/Sites/.Public/read_bdsk_file.py-zip.zip

No guarantee that it keeps working, but you may find it useful.
Thanks.

Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch
www.sysecol.ethz.ch/staff/af

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax

Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!
* *