On 26.01.2010, at 10:50, Daniele Avitabile wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know what is your favourite way of using the the .bib
> database produced by BibDesk. At the moment, I have a large folder containing
> one large database.bib file and the corresponding archived pdf.
>
> When I am writing a paper, I make a symbolic link to database.bib and I
> include it in my .tex file. The main advantage is that I usually amend the
> database or add new entries as I write, and this allows the changes take
> place centrally.
>
> The disadvantage is that when I have to include the .bib file in my
> publication, I have to send the publishers a massive .bib file, full of
> useless entries.
>
> Also, when I move to a different computer to do some editing, I have the same
> problem.
>
> The alternative seems to be to build up a local copy of the database, which
> kills the main advantage to have a centralised database.
>
> What is your workflow?
>
> Best.
> Daniele

Hi,

a few remarks:
1. if you store your main bib file (or any bib file for that matter) in a place
where tex can find it (texmf-home, texmf-local) you won't even need the
symbolic links
2. I think your question has come up a few times over the years and the
predominant answer was that people favor the main database approach
3. actually, you do not need to send out your main bib file. drop the aux file
of a given project on the main window of bibdesk and all entries used in that
particular project will get highlighted. you can then easily drag them to anew
bib file and thus create a bibliography that matches the items used in the
document. 2 advantages: you might want to keep that new file with your
corresponding tex file to ensure compatibility in the future and if you need to
send the project to someone he will only get what is really needed

Alex