Dear Joe,

This is actually a BibTeX question, as it's BibTeX that
controls the formatting of the bibliographic data. I
haven't found a .bst file that formats as you request,
though I'm sure one exists (if for no other reason
than typography guru Robert Bringhurst recommends one
put little or no space between initials).

Assuming you can't get the journal to supply you with
an appropriate bibliography style file, then here, very
roughly, is what you need to do:

(a) Make a copy of the bibliography style file you want
    to modify, say abbrvnat.bst. Call it myAbbrvnat.bst,
    or whatever, and put it where tex (rather, bibtex)
    will find it when processing your document. And,
    of course, make sure your document specifies that
    new, private, bibliography style.

(b) In your private .bst file, you should find a function
    called "FUNCTION {format.names}". A few lines below,
    inside the function definition, you will see some
    text similar to
        s nameptr "{f.~}{vv~}{ll}{, jj}" format.name$
                   ^^^^^ this controls the formatting
                         of the first name. (The single
        'f', for example tells bibtex to abbreviate the
        first name.)

(c) Change that line to read
        s nameptr "{f{.}.~}{vv~}{ll}{, jj}" format.name$

(d) Actually, the style you request has the last name
    before the initials, so the quoted string above will
    more likely read "{vv~}{ll}{, jj}{, f.}", which you
    would then change to read "{vv~}{ll}{, jj}{, f{.}.}".

(e) Re-run bibtex, then latex. VoilĂ .

If you want BibDesk also to use your new .bst file, then
you will want to put it in a more central location. I
haven't tested this, but ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/
should do the job. Then modify your BibDesk preferences
accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
        -Dan

PS: For *lots* more information on BibTeX, look in your
tex distribution for "tamethebeast". (TeXShop's "Help >
Show Help for Package ..." will find it for you.)