Some diagnostic questions--

When there are multiple items, can you isolate one of them that's causing the
problem, independently of the others? That is, do all of the records work by
themselves, but then it fails when they are together? If that's so, that is
indeed strange behavior.

What BibTeX .sty file are you using for your preview in BibDesk? Look in
BibDesk -> Preferences -> TeX preview. You should see "style and template." Is
the style there one that works when you run BibTeX on a document and it
succeeds?

You should have /usr/texbin/pdflatex and /usr/texbin/bibtex respectively for
the paths to pdflatex and bibtex, respectively.

Finally, use the toolbar tex preview item to see the preview. When the little
widow comes up with the preview, click on "log" at the left edge of the window.
Cut that out and paste it into an email and send it to the list.

That will give us a head start.

Unless Adam or Christiaan somehow already have the answer to this by pure
intuition!

Adam

On May 24, 2010, at 9:53 PM, Bernie Hogan wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm having issues sorting out a problem where the bibdesk preview
> window will work, but it is glacially slow. And if I highlight
> multiple items it fails frequently.
>
> It would seem to be something to do with Snow Leopard. I've downloaded
> the latest MacTex2009, and still not working. I tried reverting to
> earlier versions of BibDesk, and that wasn't the problem. And bibtex
> works just fine when compiled on its own / included in tex documents.
>
> I feel like I'm missing something obvious, and honestly, I'm sick of
> googling / searching and coming up short. Any advice would be
> appreciated.
>
> Take care,
> BERNiE
>
> Bernie Hogan
> Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
> University of Oxford

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--
z_california...@shiftingbalance.org