Sorry, I forgot one other critical thing likely to be different on your system.
In my case pdf's are stored within subfolders using the first character of the
cite key. I.e. the pdf repository folder looks similar to this:

ls -1R */*.pdf
A/AA00Users.pdf
A/AA01Users.pdf
A/Aa001.pdf
A/Aa002.pdf

B/Ba023.pdf
B/Ba025.pdf
B/Ba033.pdf
B/Ba061.pdf
B/Ba079.pdf

C/Ca002.pdf
C/Ca003.pdf
C/Ca017.pdf
C/Ca01ct.pdf
C/Ca025.pdf
C/Ca029.pdf
C/Ca032.pdf
C/Ca034.pdf
C/Ca035.pdf

Z/Za008.pdf
Z/Za010.pdf
Z/Za012.pdf

Thus you need most  likely also to adjust following statement according to your
case. If your pdf repository is flat, simply change

set workDir to thePDFRepositoryFolder & dirSep & theSubFolderCh & dirSep

set workDir to thePDFRepositoryFolder & dirSep

This should get you going. Sorry, can't spend more time on this helping you.

Sincerely yours,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch<mailto:andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch>
www.sysecol.ethz.ch<http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch>

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 221-4657 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!