On May 16, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On May 16, 2011, at 06:55 , Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> That's funny, since most people compare BibDesk and Papers by saying how ugly
> the former is :).

Strange, because the main windows are built around the same design. I don't
know if this is what bothers Themis, but what bothers me is the ugly icons in
the left-han-pane and also the toolbar and its counterpart below the main
table/cover view area.

I have always thought that the main icon looks something like a cross between a
barn, a bank or courthouse, and a small house. Libraries have red carpets?

I remember the days when I used Endnote. Its built-in styles for references
were sometimes off by a little, so I would try to tinker with them, using a
system essentially like the BD template system. I never figured it out.

BD will (thankfully) never be mated directly with MS Word, so there will never
be automatic citing-and-bib-formatting, but I think the template system is
probably as easy to use at least as Endnote's. I don't know how Papers works.

Reading onward is optional. :)

\begin{rant}

Also Papers now announces it's new feature, searching your entire library. I
don't know how much of what they say applies only to Papers 2, but almost
everything they say BD has had for umm *years*.

I think a few of us should get together and string parts of our names into one
long name, and then release an app that no one has ever thought of before. It's
for reading PDF's and annotating them. We can call it "Reading" or "Notes" or
something like that. We can probably charge $80 for it and since there's no
open source competitor we will have a lock on the market.

\end{rant}
------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--