On 02.09.2011, at 13:43, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 02.09.2011, at 10:49, Christian Pleul wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Yes.

>>> No. TypeInfo.plist belongs to your personal prefs and shouldn't normally be
>>> touched during an update.

>>> The data in TypeInfo.plist has nothing to do with the data in your .bib
>>> file. TypeInfo.plist just tells BibDesk which types and fields it should
>>> display by default, it doesn't touch the data in your .bib file and if your
>>> .bib file contains fields which are not in TypeInfo.plist they will still
>>> be displayed. After all, you can always add any kind of field you want to
>>> any entry in BibDesk.
>>
>> So, what would be an appropriate way to move from bibtex to biblatex. This
>> is my suggestion, which should be improved and maybe added to the wiki, when
>> appropriate:
>>
>> 0) Quite BD, Backup your data
>>

>> 2) Download and use the file TypeInfo.plist [2]
>>
>> 3) Customize TypeInfo.plist (e.g. to much optional fields are displayed in
>> the publication editor window) by comment out (e.g. <!--
>> <string>Urlday</string> -->)
>
> There's no need to edit TypeInfo.plist. You can do everything you want in
> BibDesk's prefs. In my experience, it's best to start with a small set of
> documents and types you know you're going to need frequently and then slowly
> start adding those you use in your daily work.

I updated the entire TypoInfo according to the up to date biblatex manual.
Furthermore, I reduced the number of fields by commenting out the strings. It
was the best way for me to get started.

>> 1) Manually modify your bib file (search and replace) for the following (cp.
>> [1]):
>> year > date
>> address > location
>> journal > journaltitle
>
> This is not mandatory. Biblatex treats all of the traditional fields as
> aliases for its new ones (at least in the case of those four fields).
> Especially in the case of the year field, I would stick to year since you
> probably need this field for automatic citekey generation (at least I do).
> BTW, that's another area where biblatex support could be improved.

You are right, it is not mandatory. Nevertheless, I changed to location and
journaltitle. Especially "location" gives you more convenience when used with
more than one place. I also did not touch the year, since I also use it for
automatic generation of the citekey.

> Simon

Best,
--
        Christian

-Because I'm the CEO, and I think it can be done.-

Steve Jobs, 2005