No, they often do not extract them from the pdf. They often search in the pdf
for a doi and then provide the actual data from a provider such as ISI WOS or
other data base sources. BibDesk does not do that. As a consequence you see in
BibDesk how lousy the meta data in the pdf generally actually are (at least in
my experience).

Regards,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch
www.sysecol.ethz.ch

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 221-4657 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!