On Sep 20, 2016, at 16:45 , Tom Frei wrote:

> I'm new to bibdesk and this mailing list. I like bibdesk so far, but I see it
> doesn't like when I try to edit a generated bibtex file by hand with vim. If
> I edit the file with vim and then later open it with bibdesk and make a
> subsequent edit with bibdesk, it doesn't like it and overwrites the file and
> omits my manual edit.  This is probably a feature that I don't recognize.
> What's the workaround? What I'm trying to do is add the shortauthor field to
> a bibtex entry. Thanks in advance!

A little more detail would help (unless Christian's answer gave you what you
need).

What specific steps are involved?  Do you close the BibTeX .bib file when
editing by hand?

FWIW, I frequently edit the .bib file by hand, and have no problems (except for
those rare instances when I fubar the .bib file...).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb