Martin: The way I would achieve your goal (although I may be describing the
obvious) is:

Sort the main publication table by date-added.
Select recently added publications that I want to review.
Drag the selected publications to an empty static group.
Sort the publication table in the static group by any desired field and review
the publications.

If it is important to me to restrict the groups table to show only data about a
selection of publications (and not about all publications in my main database),
then I open a separate BibDesk database with the desired groups already
configured but empty of publications, and I drag the selected publications to
the separate database temporarily where I can visually analyze the groups
table. (But I do not drag publications back and forth between databases,
because this changes the date-added field, which I want to keep intact; I treat
the separate database as a temporary "read-only" view that is destroyed after
use.)

Nathan