NATCHEZ NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
Issued weekly by Jim Conrad from the forest and fields
of the Sandy Creek Watershed 12 miles ESE of Natchez,
Mississippi

August 29, 2004

*****************************************

THE BIRDS OF AUGUST
Most of the bird world is very quiet now. On muggy
Tuesday morning I took a walk paying special attention
to the matter, and it was clear that many birds who
were here all summer now are absent and nearly all the
rest have fallen silent.

That's not the case with everyone, of course. With
thousands of Cypress Vine blossoms and other morning
glory flowers gracing my garden fences, the
hummingbirds make a continual circus -- not only
taking nectar but also chasing one another. The other
day I saw one performing a classic flight display,
flying broad Us in the air, just the way males do to
impress females in the spring. But this time there
were no females to be courted, just a silly male
feeling his oats before heading south for the cold
months.

Crows call all year, especially at dawn. Every day a
certain Red-headed Woodpecker makes his rounds flying
from tree-top to tree-top, harshly kwrrrrking and
accompanied by his kid, one with a brown head, not the
Red-headed's splendid red. Occasionally a Blue Jay
screams deep in the woods, and every day I see
Mourning Doves streaking low overhead as if rushing in
a straight line to work, their wings whistling sharply
through the air.

During my walk sometimes I heard a Carolina Wren
briefly complain about something, but not nearly as
vociferously as usual. Deep inside a shadowy thicket
of Winged Sumac a mere silhouette of a Catbird
silently shifted from branch to branch. Here and there
in the broomsedge a sparrow's solitary peep arose, and
I heard single notes from Bobwhites running through
the grass, but, really, there wasn't much more than
that.

For one thing, a lot of birds are molting now. They
don't look so good, plus they can't fly as well as
they usually can, and they won't be able to until
strong new primaries stiffen their wings. The lower
the profile molting birds can keep, the better. Also
there's the matter that breeding and nesting is simply
finished for the year, so what's there really to do
other than quietly eat and store up fat for the
winter, and draw as little attention to yourself as
possible?

Many species at this time of year get the flocking
urge and my impression is that those flocks have
chosen somewhere to be other than here.

So, the forests and fields are eerily quiet in terms
of birdsong. However, insects are doing their best to
fill the void.

*****

A. C. BENT'S BIRD HISTORIES
When I was growing up in Kentucky if someone in the
family asked me what I'd like for Christmas or a
birthday usually I had a list of books ready to hand
them. Over the years with that strategy I managed to
acquire nearly all of Arthur C. Bent's "Life Histories
of North American Birds" -- twenty-one volumes
published between 1919 and 1968. For me there was
hardly any more enjoyable reading.

Each book provided all kinds of information about each
North American species. Many birding experts
contributed their observations from all across North
America, so there was a variety of writing styles,
much local color, and every word reflected old-time
enthusiasm and admiration for the bird species being
considered. Most of the writings were from the early
1900s so often you felt as if you were at the feet of
old masters.

Part of that magnificent series is now freely
available on the Internet. If you'd like to read a
great deal about any common North American bird, you
can't do much better than go to this site. For
example, when I took the birding walk mentioned above
and began wondering what my newly absent bluebirds
were up to, I went to Bent's Eastern Bluebird page and
found the following, just one gracious paragraph among
several touching on the Eastern Bluebird's fall
behavior:

"In flight bluebirds are very charming at this time of
year; a leisurely flip of the wing carries them along
silently with just enough momentum to keep them afloat
in the air, and they often sail for a long way,
drifting along with open wings... We shall see few
more bluebirds before winter comes. This little
company is already on its way south, yet they seem in
no hurry to leave New England. How leisurely the
bluebirds are as they flit about in fall!"

This site worthy of being bookmarked is found at
http://birdsbybent.com/index.html

*****

OCTOPUS IN A CUP
For the second time this year my evening was
interrupted by a pickup-truck's horn and once again it
was my neighbor Karen, this time with hubby Jack, and
once again she was holding something in a container
she just couldn't wait to show me.

"It's an octopus!" she cried, and when I held the
MacDonald's Coke cup with the thing in it up to the
truck's headlights and looked inside I had to agree
that it looked just like a thumbnail-size, brown,
fuzzy octopus with curled, stubby, tentacles. "It was
sticking to the side of the truck and we just had to
bring it out here!"

You can see the exact little critter at
www.backyardnature.net/pix/monkslug.jpg

This time Karen's discovery really stumped me at
first. But then I remembered to look at nature
systematically, so I set about analyzing the thing as
if my mind were an identification key. I pried the
creature loose from the cup's wall and saw that
beneath its "tentacles" there arose little legs and a
head just like a caterpillar's. Therefore, the
"tentacles" were just distracting lobes of flesh atop
a caterpillar's back.

It was a member of the butterfly/moth order, for
that's where true caterpillars occur. So, which family
of butterfly or moth was it? Well, noting the
caterpillar's sharp, stiff hairs, the sluggish way it
moved, and the way its feet stuck to smooth surfaces,
the most similar thing I'd seen was the Saddleback
Caterpillar I told you about in this year's July 4th
Newsletter -- the very species Karen came with the
last time!

On the Internet I did a Google image-search using the
key word "Limacodidae," which, according to my old
Peterson field guide, is the name of the family of the
Saddleback Caterpillar. After viewing about a hundred
thumbnail photos summoned by Google, finally there it
was:

The caterpillar goes by the name of "Monkey Slug," and
it's the larva of the very drab-looking Hag Moth,
PHOBETRON PITHECIUM. One web site calls the Monkey
Slug the "most distinctive caterpillar in eastern
North America." I'm not sure it's the most
distinctive, but I'd go along with its being the
weirdest-looking.

The main thing this identification exercise shows is
the incredible tool the Internet has become for
backyard naturalists. Monkey Slugs are apparently too
rare to be illustrated in any of my books, but Google
eventually managed to pull up an image. All I needed
was a little help from my dog-eared field guide and an
educated guess of the insect's family name.

*****

BUILDING FRUIT DEHYDRATORS
After reading last week's notes about my dehydrating
pears on my satellite-TV-dish solar cooker, Anita in
Oregon wrote telling me about another dehydrator
design she'd picked up at a fair once attended in
Spencer, Iowa.

On the Internet I've found a good diagram and
instructions for what looks like Anita's dehydrator,
at www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

The diagram at the above site doesn't show the hole in
the box's lower back, needed for the inflowing hot air
to escape. Also, Anita's plan uses trays made from
screen and wood, which the diagram doesn't show.

*****

GRAPEVINES
When I arrived here over a year ago grapevines covered
about a third of the barn, growing over it as if the
barn were nothing but a big log. Grapevines, under
certain conditions, in terms of pure rankness and vigor,
can out-Kudzu Kudzu.

I cleared away 90% of the vines but left some climbing
into the Sweetgum trees at the barn's edge. Quickly
the vines reached the Sweetgums' crowns and now they
cascade over the trees' sides and dangle freely, and
elegantly, beneath them. Now I can step right from my
late-afternoon cooling session in the bathtub beneath
the barn's eaves, and pluck wild grapes.

Usually I don't bother. Though the grapes are borne in
handsome clusters of 35, 50 or more, the grapes
themselves are only pea-size, and surely 95% of their
interiors are filled with seeds. Only something like a
hungry bird or raccoon would be attracted to them.
Such creatures do eat them, however, for as soon as
the grapes ripen most disappear. Lately I've seen a
Mockingbird silently taking a few.

When I refer to grapevines, I'm meaning the woody,
high-climbing vines of the genus VITIS of the Grape
Family, the VITACEAE. In the US Southeast we have
about ten species, depending on how you count them.
The one offering itself next to my bathtub appears to
be the Frost Grape, VITIS VULPINA. I say "appears to
be" because the specialists haven't quite figured out
the grapevines yet. Sometimes you just can't put a
name on something with certainty. Nature doesn't feel
the least compelled to always fit Her organisms into
mankind's little pigeonholes, though usually she does
a good job at it. Anyway, by early November my Frost
Grapes -- if the Mockingbird leaves any -- will have
dehydrated and become wrinkled, gummy, and sublimely
sweet.

Walking through the woods right now you often find
large woody grapevines draped over lower branches and
trees, and issuing tough, rusty-red, spaghetti-size,
branching aerial roots dangling toward the ground. Few
roots reach the ground so they just hang there like
much-shredded curtains, giving the forest a jungly
feeling. These aerial roots belong to Muscadine
grapevines, VITIS ROTUNDIFOLIA. Usually in late July
and early August you find big, juicy Muscadine grapes
fallen onto the forest floor, but I haven't seen many
this year.

In southwestern Mississippi we have about half a dozen
grapevine species. Each has its own season and kind of
grape, and each species is important and noble in its
own way.

*****

GARDEN-FENCE PERFECTION
Monday morning after my dawn jog, with my breakfast
campfire flickering beneath the cornbread skillet and
my mug filled with steamy peppermint tea, I sat down
on a bucket next to the fire for the day's first
moment of peace and there before me, unnoticed until
that very moment, appeared one of the prettiest scenes
I've beheld for a long time.

Since early spring I've been letting morning-glory
vines twine up through a 40-foot length of chicken-
wire deer-fence on one side of my nearest garden -- 
despite the tongue-in-cheek remark of a local fellow
who dropped by one day to leave some pears that, "Jim,
around here we call those things weeds and we pull
them out." Now the fence is a green wall, a bit
diffuse low down but so densely tangled at the top
that you can't see through it.

Three members of the Morning Glory Family grow there.
The vine on the right, a horticultural species,
produced 15 three-inch-wide, deep-violet blossoms. On
the left massed dozens of frilly-leaved Cypress Vines
bearing hundreds if not thousands of scarlet,
hummingbird-loved blossoms. And then, in the center,
rising like a green ocean wave breaking over the fence
with clouds of pale pink butterflies as froth, was
IPOMOEA HEDERACEA, its blossoms 1.5 inches wide. There
were 278 pale pink blossoms -- over twice that many
later in the week! This species is often called Ivy-
leafed Morning-glory, and it truly is a weed. It came
up there with no encouragement from me, but no
discouragement, either. This centerpiece of my
gardening masterpiece was completely free, and
unexpected. You can see this vine, showing a blue-
flowered race instead of my pale-pink-flowered one, at
www.missouriplants.com/Bluealt/Ipomoea_hederacea_page.html

All during breakfast I couldn't take my eyes from the
perfection constituted of the vines' dew-wet, green
leaves with their mingling of intensely deep-violet,
pale-pink and scarlet blossoms. When the hummingbirds
and bees and butterflies all came to sup in them, I
could think of only one thing to do:

"Thanks, Creator," was my prayer.

*****

ON LIVING GRACEFULLY
If I were less secure about my manner of living I
might seek assurance from the outside world that I am
not completely loony because of my enthusiasm for such
things as three kinds of morning-glory vine mingling
on a garden fence. If I were to seek that assurance, I
might find it by recalling one of the most highly
developed, sophisticated cultures humanity has ever
produced -- that of Japan centuries ago. No culture
has surpassed that one in terms of producing exquisite
art, from literature and painting to stoneware and
textiles.

The standard against which the ancient Japanese judged
the grace and perfection of all things was, in full
agreement with my own notions, nature.

On the Internet I have found a fine little book by
Boy� Lafayette De Mente called "Japanese Secrets of
Graceful Living." Accompanied by several woodcuts, the
whole thing can be read in about half an hour. It's in
PDF format and can be downloaded at
www.japantravelbooks.com/GRACEFUL%20LIVING%20(WP).pdf

To read PDF documents you must have Adobe Acrobat
installed. You can download a free copy of that at
www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Here is a sample from the book, incidentally apropos
of last week's thoughts on the sounds of insects:

"The purpose of the insect-hearing ceremony was to
exercise man's feeling of affinity with nature and
renew his spirit of being. If the Westerner will
reflect for a moment he may recall short periods in
the past when the sudden sound of a bird or insect on
an otherwise quiet summery day would invoke such a
feeling of poignant tranquility and well-being that he
almost cried out with the joy of being alive. The
Japanese deliberately seek this experience for
prolonged periods."

If I were to seek support for the idea that a garden
fence weedily overgrown with three kinds of morning
glory on a certain dewy morning might be worthy of the
profound admiration with which I regarded it, maybe I
could find it in this quote from that little book:

"... it is not surprising to find that there are no
commonly known foundations for recognizing and
appreciating beauty in the West. In Japan, on the
other hand, the main threads of the cultural fabric
are pure aesthetics. ... Their model and standard for
beauty is that which is natural or suggested by nature
even including what most Westerners would generally
describe as ugly."

I personally could not have survived ancient Japanese
society. I would have rebelled against the
interminable, mindless rituals and the unquestioning
yielding to authority. Still, there is much to be said
for a society focusing on "graceful living" instead of
gross consumption and other forms of destructive self
indulgence. I do believe that the ancient Japanese
might have shared my reverence for three mingled
morning-glory vines on a garden fence.

*****

Best wishes to all Newsletter subscribers,

Jim


All previous Newsletters are archived at
www.backyardnature.net/n/

Visit Jim's Nature Site at
www.backyardnature.net



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/0NYolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of hungry 
lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and commercial real 
estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com 

BiFem :) a bifem.net publication
--------------------------------
Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Subscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
List owner:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Web Site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem 
Chatoom: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/chat

Visit BiFemLounge our 24 hour chatroom at http://bifem.net

Get a New Orleans Free Email account at http://bifem.net

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to