JIM CONRAD'S NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
Issued from Hacienda Komchen de Los Pájaros
just outside Dzemul, Yucatán, Mexico
December 26, 2004

*****

WINTER SOLSTICE-CELBRATION WALK, 2004
To celebrate the beginning of another natural annual
cycle, last Tuesday, the Winter Solstice, I strapped on
my backpack and started walking. Here's part of what I
saw and experienced:

Tuesday, December 21
Chores keep me busy until dusk. As I leave Komchen,
already the sky is darkening and the clouds are growing
purple. Out on the road I turn north, toward the Gulf
beach. Along both sides of the road an abundant, head-
high bush with bright yellow composite flowers very
like our Spanish Needles is in full bloom. The blossoms
so abound that the roadsides glow yellow in the failing
light. I whistle the tune of Alice on her Yellow Brick
Road.

I make only a couple of miles before it's so dark I
must pitch the tent. I place it next to a thorny acacia
with frilly, twice-compound leaves. Light from the 3/4-
full moon fills my tent so it's like sleeping in a
Chinese lantern afloat in night-insect sounds...

http://www.backyardnature.net/n/04/041226.htm 



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/0NYolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of 
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and 
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com 

BiFem :) a bifem.net publication
--------------------------------
Post message: [email protected] 
Subscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
List owner:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Web Site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem 
Chatoom: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/chat

Visit BiFemLounge our 24 hour chatroom at http://bifem.net

Get a New Orleans Free Email account at http://bifem.net

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to