JIM CONRAD'S NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
Issued from the Sierra Nevada Foothills east of 
Sacramento, California
August 21, 2005

*****

BLACK BEAR IN MID STRIDE
This week I saw my Black Bear, URSUS AMERICANUS. In 
El Dorado National Forest I was following a narrow 
four-wheeler trail down a wooded slope when the bear 
and I met at a curve about 25 feet apart. Both the 
bear and I froze in mid stride and I was gratified 
when he remained frozen as I raised my binoculars and 
had a good look. He was all black except for a cinnamon 
chest, and not quite fully grown. We stared at one 
another for about 15 seconds and then he turned and 
waddled off in the opposite direction. I continued my 
walk past where he'd been and followed his tracks on 
the dusty trail for a good distance before they led 
into the brush.

This was in the same general area where earlier I had 
seen bear tracks. Those prints had been 7.5 and 7 
inches long, not counting claws, and this one's prints 
were 6.5 inches long, so now I know that at least three 
bears inhabit that vicinity. 

Earlier I wrote that surely bears at this season are 
having a hard time finding enough food to survive 
because it's too early for acorns, blackberries and 
other such fruits. However, this bear looked well fed 
and healthy, and now that I've looked more into bear 
food I can see why. Bears are much more vegetarian 
than I'd believed, at this time of year mainly eating 
miscellaneous herbage and even grasses, until berries 
and nuts ripen later.

http://www.backyardnature.net/n/05/050821.htm


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
<font face=arial size=-1><a 
href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hp18ob2/M=327951.6903887.7846656.3022173/D=groups/S=1705083764:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124651398/A=2896148/R=0/SIG=11betrp34/*http://www.facetheissue.com/anorexia.html
">Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore</a>.</font>
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of 
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and 
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com 

BiFem :) a bifem.net publication
--------------------------------
Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Subscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
List owner:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Web Site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem 
Chatoom: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/chat

Visit BiFemLounge our 24 hour chatroom at http://bifem.net

Get a New Orleans Free Email account at http://bifem.net

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to