JIM CONRAD'S NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
Issued from the Sierra Nevada Foothills east of 
Sacramento, California
October 2, 2005
 
*****
 
LAST HIKE UP SLATE MOUNTAIN
 This has been my last full week in the Sierra Nevada 
foothills, so on the morning when I strapped on my 
backpack for the last hike up to Slate Mountain 
everything I saw and felt had a special poignancy.
 
The night before, we'd experienced an unusual 
thunderstorm. It's still the dry season so we hadn't 
expected rain here until late this month or November, 
but that night the lightning had just gone on and on, 
and we got about half an inch of rain.
 
Those first whiffs of cold morning air as I began the 
hike were unlike any I'd experienced here so far. 
There were odors of rain-saturated sawdust mingled 
with mud, and of vegetation that hadn't been moist 
for months. I'd been in dry air so long I'd forgotten 
how a wet landscape is pregnant with odors, something 
you never forget in humid Mississippi. I penetrated 
scent clouds sometimes like stale urine, sometimes 
like cheesy mushrooms or rotting fruit, but the most 
powerful odor was a tangy one I'd only smelled so 
intensely in shadowy, high-elevation rhododendron 
thickets in the Smokys and I was amazed to find it 
here among Ponderosa Pines, Mountain Misery and 
Pacific Madrones. Who knows what causes it? And every 
odor was married to an association of time and place, 
so that morning I navigated not only the landscape 
but also the shadows and bruises of my own mind, 
walking right past some bear prints in mud pointed 
out to me later (and photographed -- they are at 
http://www.backyardnature.net/sierras/bear-b2.htm ).
 
The rain had washed the air, making the Coastal Range 
80 miles across the Central Valley to the west look 
like a neighboring ridge. Until now at best I had 
only seen a smudgy, purple-silhouetted rim to the 
Valley but now I saw sharply etched gorges and 
cliffs, and the upper slopes were green with what 
Fred tells me are oak woods, but the lower slopes 
were dun colored just like the parched grass and 
herbs here. If the Coastal Range hadn't stood in the 
way I could have seen the sky-blue Pacific, the 
Farallon Islands off San Francisco, and maybe ships 
at sea.


http://robwire.com/?q=node/502


Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of 
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and 
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com 

BiFem :) a bifem.net publication
--------------------------------
Post message: [email protected] 
Subscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
List owner:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Web Site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem 
Chatoom: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/chat

Visit BiFemLounge our 24 hour chatroom at http://bifem.net

Get a New Orleans Free Email account at http://bifem.net

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiFem/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to