Here is a link to a long, reasonably balanced, well-written article in the Sunday New York Time (bizarrely, from the Fashion and Style section) about motorist/cyclists conflicts in these times of a sharp increase in the number of bicycle commuters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/fashion/10bikewars.html?ex=1219032000&en=f6dd824c6b5bc99f&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Personally, I don't see any negative changes in the way motorists have been treating me on the road (I do most of my riding in Seattle, though, where the numbers have long been higher than national averages). And I haven't noticed an increase in bone-headed newbie cyclists, either. Presumably, the trend is real-- the article cites some numbers. But now that gasoline is down below $4 again (at least in the Seattle market), maybe the reported uptick in bicycle commuting will downtick again.