Dear Group,

Since this is a bicycle listserv, we are happy to hear, "bicycling is on the rise." And equally, "cycling is on the rise in Wisconsin." But just what comprises cycling and what is "on the rise" remains a mystery. In the last post by Steve Meiers we learn that financial and corporate business men are buying high end $5,000 bicycles to conduct business on the fly? Even our list's Troy Thiel is quoted attempting to conduct business on a charity ride. (networking). And ever greater numbers simply pedal to work with no stigma which might have accompanied such actions in the past.

We also hear that triathlons and ironman triathlons are on the rise and this is particularly the case among women. And we have always had the "sanctioned" professional young riders following the summer circuit and those riding professionally and semi-professionally in velo dromes. But I have on good authority that one segment of the bike riding public is declining. But then maybe there was not much call or need to facilitate and satisfy this sector now or ever in the past. And I speak of providing a venue for average bike riders to test their own personal fitness in a "personal" race--a time trial race. When I returned to bike riding at age forty-five mainly for fitness, I thought I became fit and wanted to prove that fact. But I soon realized there were no races for "average people." In one race I entered and paid good money for the opportunity, I was told that they didn't bother keeping the time for those riders over thirty-five. And I had trained for that event and was satisfied with my personal result.

So, seeing that there just were no races except for events leading to the Olympics or "The Tour", I organized an annual time trial race of just ten miles, held in Ripon. This year's running was the eighteenth time. Each year we have gotten free listings, writeups and advertising in Silent Sport. This race is open to riders of all ages and all equipment. There is no pre-registration nor is there a money charge. We have token prizes, ribbons, and responsible corner guards throughout the course. Our head timer each year has been the Athletic Director at Ripon College. For some years now I have mentioned this Louis Reed Ripon Time Trial Race on this listserv.

And this year nobody came!!!!!!!!!!!! Two racers drove up in a jeep fifteen minutes after start time as the seven to ten "volunteers" were about ready to "call it a year." So, with myself racing, that made it a time trial for three riders.

So, lets face it. We might be doing a land office business in carbon fiber $5000 bikes to stock brokers and bankers and we have hoards joining Robbie Webber at ten miles per hour, but we don't have much of a spark for self competition in the average road bike riders. Certainly the experience of the well publicized (in Silent Sport) LRTenMileTimeTrial attests to that fact in a true inductive example.

Eric Westhagen