I see the potential for this to happen in Madison this on Midvale Blvd.
The street is not wide enough to allow for two lanes of traffic plus
parking, and the speed of travel is too fast for most bicyclists to ride
in the flow of traffic.  Consequently, they ride on the side of the road
or on the sidewalk - both unsafe, especially when cars are parked along
the road.

I brought this up to my alder in previous years and recommended the city
eliminate the car parking but nothing has changed.

Mike Neuman
----------- Preceding Message -----------
Mike,
Thank you for sharing this. I am saddened to hear of this news from my
hometown.
The street this happened on is a very busy one and certainly not bike-
friendly.

Per previous discussion, when I was out this week, I was making extra
effort to check
the parked cars I passed; if driver's seat was occupied, two-door vs.
four-door.
The two-door cars' doors were indeed longer and therefore swing
further into traffic.

Craig

http://bikeunion.to/clipping/driver-charged-after-cyclists-death