There are probably multiple city agencies that deal with NAS and work with
them to pull off the Ironman (or any other event.) It sort of depends on how
you think the deal is sour. Police overtime? Use of streets? Reimbursement
for clean-up costs? Cost of using Monona Terrace? Safety of volunteers?
Recycling?

The first place I'd go would be the Parks Dept, because they deal with
street use permits as well as Law Park. Obviously Monona Terrace is a big
one.

But perhaps what you really need to do is talk to the Greater Madison
Convention and Visitor's Bureau. They are in the business of attracting
these types of events to Madison.

If you want to call me and give me more information about your concerns,
I'll try to direct you to the correct person or department (or maybe private
entity.)

Robbie Webber
wearing my City Alder hat
608-233-1390