Our city zoning code is under review right now. There is no meaningful address of this problem of draconian parking requirements in the first draft of the zoning code.

A good description of how American cities keep destroying themselves by parking is detailed right here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-20-less-parking_N.htm?POE=click-refer

I brought this issue up & its lack of address in the code rewrite at the latest public meeting on the zoning code; the consultant could only mumble something about finding "middle ground," and miscellaneous other community planner blow-off jargon. Despite the fact that the room of 35 or so people were largely in agreement and mutully reinforcing of each other's views, she accused us of being "extremists."

We're in trouble.

-Mike