The amendment to remove all funding for expansion of Hwy M (Junction
Rd) from the 2009 budget got one vote at the BOE: Satya Rhodes-Conway.
(Not all alders sit on BOE, which is why you don't see my name
listed.)

No one from the public came to speak about the item.

Alder Sandborn claimed that because we had approved the neighborhood
plans for the the adjacent areas, we were now obligated to build roads
to serve all the drivers in those neighborhoods. He also claimed that
no one had come to Council meetings to complain/warn about the roads
that would be needed to go with the developments. Brad Murphy and
several others pointed out that there have been quite a few
discussions over the years about the transportation impacts of certain
development patterns.

Please direct your comments to Alder Sandborn if you need to comment
on the above. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Larry Nelson answered a question asked at the last BOE meeting, and
something I've wondered about for years. The Engineering Dept
estimates that 17% of the property taxes on the average home go to
road maintenance of all kinds: pothole filling, snow plowing, trash
pick-up, mowing, etc.

Brad Murphy and the Mayor made the argument that we had required the
new Research Park (to be built at the corner of Mineral Point and
Junction Rd) to be significantly more urban and dense than UW
originally wanted it to be. More density => more cars, because most
people are going to drive anyway => need for more road expansion for
all those cars. That was part of "the deal" with the UW. I do not
remember being part of that deal, although I do remember seeing the
neighborhood plan at several meetings.

The five projects we tried to remove from the budget total $52 million
over the next six years - 2009-2014. We are expecting about $16
million of federal funding, so the rest will be coming from property
taxes and special assessments. (I don't know how much would come from
special assessments, because I missed the Sept. 9 BOE meeting, where I
could asks that question. I'll see if I can find out for the future.)

Removing the five projects from the 2009 budget would have saved
$115,259 on the 2009 operating budget. I'm sure we can all think of
other things we'd like to do with that money.

Over the next six years, here are the totals for various parts of the
County Highway M/Mineral Point project (some rounding in these
numbers):
Cty Hwy S (Mineral Point) - Cty Hwy M (Junction Road) intersection: $20 million.
Cty Hwy M - Cty Hwy PD area: $10.5 million
Cty Hwy M - Midtown Rd area: $10.6 million
Cty Hwy M - Valley View area: $9 million
Cty Hwy M - Watts Rd area: $2.1 million

Robbie