Larry (Nelson) - Thank you for including the full summary of comments. It
helps to see the full back and forth discussion between all parties.

To the general Bikies audience:

Two things about the discussion disturb me.

1. That someone from WisDOT suggests that the comment, "We don't know what
the bike lane width was prior to reconstruction." be deleted. I think that
is a very telling comment. I'm willing to bet that all the other prior lane
widths were well documented and carefully considered when the roadway
markings were considered.

2. That there was a public hearing/meeting (Jan 10, 2008) on this important
intersection, and nothing was posted on this important contact mechanism for
Madison-area bicyclists. I just checked my calendar, and the Bikies archive,
and there was no post on this meeting. Now, possibly I should have known
about it, being a city official, but I did not.

Several Bike Fed board members and employees are on this list, and yet they
chose not to post this important meeting. Maybe the rest of the staff or
board didn't know either, but at least one person obviously knew. Too bad,
because the problems might have been averted had more Bikies known about the
meeting.

Draw your own conclusions.

I'm sorry, I've tried to let Bike Fed get its feet back on the ground, and
reach out to the Madison transportation biking community. However, it seems
that the refusal to post even FYI items on this list has turned from clumsy
ignorance of the grass roots power of this community to dangerously willful
disregard for the importance of communication with the front line troops.

To Bike Fed staff and board:

When there is a meeting, people need to know about it. It doesn't matter how
much ones feelings have been hurt in the past by a few people on a list. I
deal with that daily with this list, my own neighborhood listserv, and
others I'm on. Suck it up and realize that this is where the activists
reside. You need to use the tools you have.

Robbie