First, I'd like to say that BFW's handling of the Seminole Interchange
would be a great topic to bring up at the 2008 Annual Members Meeting
TOMORROW!

2008 Annual Members Meeting
Date and Time:
Saturday November 8, 2008 10:00 AM

Location:
On Wisconsin Room
Red Gym
University of Wisconsin Campus
716 Langdon St
Madison, WI 53706

Second, I'd like to share my observations about the last year of the BFW
as a conversation starter:

I agree with Robbie 100%, and I would like to point out that the issue
of poor communication was mentioned several times at the listening
session last year.  I guess the BFW wasn't listening.

Keep in mind the following observations are just my opinions and in most
cases I have been unable to get the view from the "other side" to
balance this out.

Several times since that "listening" session, I have contacted
BFW-Madison staff about various issues, and more often than not instead
of staff listening to me, they were lecturing me.  After I pointed out
that they were not listening, I got a lecture about how mistaken I was,
with some non-sequiter examples of how they were listening to me.

I was happy to see BFW staff at several meetings of the Mayor's Platinum
Biking Committee, and at the adoption hearing before the Common Council
(after a little prodding).

The thing that concerns me the most, especially when I see that only
BFW-Madison staff have had input into the Seminole Interchange with
WisDOT, is that I have picked up signs what I would call an
"anti-Madison" attitude.  There appears to be a belief that the previous
EDs at BFW were part of a circle of friends with Madison advocates prior
to becoming ED.  As far as I know, that is absolutely not the case -
especially with Dar Ward, who actually got off to a rocky start with a
few of us.  The difference between BFW-Madison now and Dar is that from
my perspective, Dar didn't shut-off communication.

Beyond this "circle of friends" issue, there appears to be a suspicion
at BFW-Madison that previous ED's and staff parlayed special favors to
Madison advocates and not to outside groups.  The evidence of this is
supposedly in the e-mail archives at the BFW.  E-mail can be misread, so
I asked BFW-Madison staff if they had consulted with previous staff
before coming to their conclusions about these "special favors" -
BFW-Madison staff have refused to answer this question, which I have
re-posted several times over the last few months.  As yet, there is no
answer.  BFW-Madison's lack of trying to get both sides of the "circle
of friends" story is deeply concerning to me - but follows the pattern
of Madison advocates not being listened to.

As Robbie said, this really needs to change, and the best way to
accomplish this change is to just “suck it up” and deal with it.
However, I gave this very advice to BFW-Madison staff about a year ago
and it seems they weren’t listening.

- Have a nice weekend!

Draw your own conclusions.

I'm sorry, I've tried to let Bike Fed get its feet back on the ground,
and reach out to the Madison transportation biking community. However,
it seems that the refusal to post even FYI items on this list has turned
from clumsy ignorance of the grass roots power of this community to
dangerously willful disregard for the importance of communication with
the front line troops.

To Bike Fed staff and board:

When there is a meeting, people need to know about it. It doesn't matter
how much ones feelings have been hurt in the past by a few people on a
list. I deal with that daily with this list, my own neighborhood
listserv, and others I'm on. Suck it up and realize that this is where
the activists reside. You need to use the tools you have.