Hi Mitch,

It isn't strictly speaking illegal to have flowers and plantings in
terraces or yards.  However, in near-downtown parts of town, it's close to
illegal.  First, there is the prohibition on anything besides grass growing
within two feet of the curb because the city likes cars and car doors more
than it likes pollinators.  But the main thing tripping me up and other
people victimized by the Building Inspection division is the "vision
triangle" thing, which is explained in detail in the attached document.
This draws a ten-foot line down the curb from the edge of a driveway (yours
or a neighbor's) and then ten feet up the driveway.  Then they draw a right
triangle connecting the two ten-foot lines and anything growing inside that
triangle may not be more than 30 inches tall.  To make things worse, the
city then draws yet another 10 x 10 right triangle on the land past the
sidewalk.  See MGO sec, 27.05(2)(bb), including with the picture that makes
it looks like it's no big deal to conform.

The good thing is that although BI's claim that "enforcement is
complaint-driven" is a lie, they don't actively go out looking for things.
They just use a complaint about one thing to harass the homeowner about
totally separate things.  My complaint concerns a bush growing in my yard
(not my terrace) that a building inspector supervisor saw when he came to
my house to make sure I "understood" all the ordinances and was in
compliance.  Then he saw the bush and said, "That's got to go."

As to your comment, Mitch, that "Some people in our neighborhood would be
in lots of trouble if that were strictly true," in fact most people in my
neighborhood (yours too, I imagine) are not in compliance.  Look at the
write-up of a survey we did.  Over 70% of the houses were in violation.
Clearly the ordinances no longer reflect community standards.  But that
doesn't stop the building inspectors from taking us to court, despite the
shortage of funds due to Walker's shortchanging Madison and Dane County in
the budget.

I encourage everyone to sign the petition linked to at the bottom of this
e-mail.

tim

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Mitchell Nussbaum <nutt...@well.com> wrote:

> Is it really illegal to have flowers and plantings in terraces? Some
> people in our neighborhood would be in lots of trouble if that were
> strictly true.
>
> I do know there's a height limit for plantings in terraces. We ran afoul
> of that limit once of twice (we still don't know which neighbor ratted us
> out; most of them say they like the flowers), but the inspector actually
> told my wife flower stalks were exempt from the limit.

hummingbirds, etc.  But the city's Building Inspection Division is actively
ordering plantings that pollinators use removed and prosecuting people who