<sigh> must we continue to argue about helmets?

1)      I wear a helmet all the time (while riding my bike)*. Never while
driving a car*. Why is that I wonder? (I personally know two different people
with traumatic brain injuries sustained while riding in a car – both injuries
changed the personalities and lives of those people, quite negatively).

2)      I don’t think we need peer reviewed studies to agree that wearing a
helmet can reduce the chance/severity of head injury of a person involved in a
crash.

3)      It should be obvious (even without a peer reviewed study) that
preventing crashes in the first place is better than mitigating their
consequences.

4)      Another peer reviewed study undertaken in Australia showed that a
helmet designed for motorists would reduce head injuries by 67%
http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/08/head-protection-for-motorists.html

Therefore, if we really wanted to reduce the severity and frequency of head
injuries, we should first try to prevent the crashes that cause them (and it is
becoming clearer that separating modes is one of the best ways to do that
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/06/protected-bike-lanes-arent-just-safer-they-can-also-increase-cycling/371958/),
 and THEN mitigate the consequences of the crash. For everyone. That is, if
we’re going to require (or even encourage) helmet use, why aren’t we requiring
it for both motor vehicle drivers and cyclists?

Perhaps it’s because many of us continue to view cycling as dangerous, and
don’t think of driving the same way.
(yes, this is all overly simplified. Isn’t everything that you can fit on one
page?)

-end rant-

*ok, once in the last year I rode 5 blocks to the co-op on my cargo bike
without a helmet, and 25 years ago I occasionally raced cars and wore a helmet
when driving on the track, but generally the above is true of me.

Chuck Strawser
Pedestrian & Bicycle Transportation Planner
Commuter Solutions
UW-Madison Transportation Services

Please note that my email address has changed. My new email is
charles.straw...@wisc.edu<mailto:charles.straw...@wisc.edu>

Visit our University Bicycle Resource Center at Helen C White:
http://transportation.wisc.edu/transportation/bike_annex.aspx

How are we doing? Take our customer satisfaction survey at
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CommSol_CSSurvey