It would be absurd to demand perfection from self-driving vehicles before
they are deployed - that's an impossible standard. I haven't heard anybody
suggest that as the standard, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that
it's my standard.

In this case, we have a company that has illegally deployed vehicles on the
road - this is documented in another Guardian story that is linked from the
first paragraph of the story - which is why I characterised it as a "rush
to market."

While I think it's encouraging that they acknowledge the problem, we only
have their word for it that they are rushing to fix the issue with
assignment of sufficient resources to keep the risk acceptable.

It may well be that the performance of these vehicles is already better
than the performance of the average driver - we cannot know. That's why
there are regulators in the loop. But Uber has rejected regulation. And I
think that the situation is far from ideal - for other road users, for Uber
itself, and for the entire enterprise of developing self-driving vehicles
should Uber's gamble turn up snake eyes. Given that they lost $8e8 last
quarter, they may be willing to accept some exceptionally long odds on
their gambles.

Meanwhile, highway fatalities per unit of travel are starting to drift up
again in the US, presumably because of increased driver distraction (or
opiate intoxication?). So your point about the risks of human operators is
well-taken.

S. Rose