I like to think that bear spray would require no license, be less lethal (a
goal?), be just as effective, be cheaper, and be lighter to carry, but I
haven't tried it yet. I've had enough close calls in rural areas to
seriously consider it.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 7:59 AM, William Hauda via Bikies <
bikies@lists.danenet.org> wrote:

>     When David Couper was police chief in Madison he routinely carried his
> service revolver to handle situations like this. Following his example, I
> sometimes carry. One time while biking in Lafayette County a woman sat on
> her front porch and watched her dog come after me. She did nothing.
> Dismounted, placed the bicycle between me and the dog, and drew a weapon,
> telling her I would shoot unless she called the dog off. She did. Situation
> resolved.
>

> On 4/25/2018 6:09 AM, Peter Gray via Bikies wrote:
>
> Hope you're OK after crashing, Eric! You sort of buried the lede there ...
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:57 PM, Eric White via Bikies <
> bikies@lists.danenet.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is just a heads up to keep a lookout for two loose pit bulls at the
>> address below when riding outside Evansville. I was heading east into town
>> last Sunday when one of them got a bead on me and made a beeline through
>> the yard, ignoring its yelling owner. At the last second it flipped up and
>> out of the way of oncoming highway traffic and was grabbed by its owner and
>> dragged inside. In the meantime I'd crashed into the gravel trying to step
>> on it and avoid the dog and the swerving oncoming car.
>>
>> The owner came out and apologized but I would expect that these dogs are
>> out loose in the yard  quite often.
>>
>> Location:
>>
>> https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7468266,-89.2812608,3a,75y,3
>> 24.82h,80.47t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sWuN-vgaYU7UpbG7k221Gug!2e0
>> !7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i38

S. Rose